Faculty & Staff at TUC
Department: Primary Care
Title: Full Professor
Phone: (707) 638-5970
Fax: (707) 638-5255
Office: Administration & Faculty 1, Rm. 117
My professional work and passion focuses on: 1. Preparing the primary care workforce to better manage diabetes; and 2. optimizing the prevention and treatment of diabetes. After 10 years in primary care I completed a Diabetes Management Fellowship and have been focusing on care of the patient with diabetes ever since. I have served as the Director of an integrated comprehensive diabetes care center and also as the Director of Clinical Research at both Ohio University Heritage College of Osteopathic Medicine (HCOM) and more recently Touro University California College of Osteopathic Medicine. I served a the Director of the Diabetes Fellowship Program for Primary Care Physicians at HCOM and look forward to expanding this training opportunity to new professionals and a new institution. I still advise the program at HCOM and serve on a national ad hoc committee of American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists on implementing primary care diabetes training even more broadly. I have served on a number of national roles such as Chair of the Primary Care Advisory Group of the American Diabetes Association and the Chair of the Research Committee of the Guidelines Advantage- a collaboration between the American Heart Association, American Cancer Society and the American Diabetes Association. I have been NCQA certified throughout my time as a Diabetologist and have helped each of our Fellows achieve this honor.
Have served in both primary care and specialist roles I am acutely aware of the gaps in the health care system that lead to fragmented poorly coordinated and executed care. Further having been active in measuring quality of care I am accustomed and very knowledgeable of the clinical shortcomings of clinical practice self-assessment.
|Institution and Location||Degree||Completion
||Field of Study|
University of California, Santa Cruz
|BA, BS||6/1989||Psychobiology, Psychology|
Ohio University College of Osteopathic Medicine
Firelands Regional Health System, Sandusky OH
|6/1999||Family Medicine Residency|
Ohio University College of Osteopathic Medicine
- National Institutes of Health:NIDDK:R18DK092765-01. Title: Program ACTIVE II (PI-DeGroot). Role: Co-Investigator. 8/1/11-7/31/2016. Amount: $1,033,593. (5% effort)
- Osteopathic Heritage Foundation. Title: Vision 2020: Leading the Transformation of Primary Care in Ohio- diabetes/Endocrine Clinical Research and Care Center. Role: PI. Amount: $6,164,734.
- American Association of Diabetes Educators. Title: Employer Engagement and Partnership in the NDPP. Role: Co-PI. Dates: 2014-15. Amount: $65,000.
- American Association of Diabetes Educators. Title: Implementation of the Diabetes Prevention Program by Diabetes Educators. Role: Co-PI. Dates: 2013-2014. Amount: $20,000.
- Ohio Partnership for Adherence through Collaborative Education (OhioPACE)
Title: Help your patients know their numbers: The critical role of diabetes numeracy in adherence to diabetes treatment. Role: Principal Investigator. 7/15/2012-12/31/2013. Amount $43,000.
- Sanofi Aventis. Title: INSPIRE Diabetes: A Pilot Study of Intensive Insulin Regimen as a Primary Treatment of New Onset of Type 2 DM. Role: Principal Investigator. Clinicaltrials.gov: NCT 01087567. 3/1/2010- 1/31/2014. Amount $680,000.
- American Association of Diabetes Educators: Title: Development of a Diabetes-Specific Patient-Centered Medical Home. Role Principal Investigator. Amount: $60,000.
- National Science Foundation. Title: SHB: Machine Learning Models for Blood Glucose Prediction in Diabetes Management. Role: Sub-investigator. Amount $349,999.
Selected Peer Reviewed Publications
- Millstein R, Mora Becerra N, Shubrook JH. Insulin pump therapy: Initiation and successful management. Cleveland Clinic Journal of Medicine 2015.
- Lavernia F, Adkins SE, Shubrook JH. Use of oral combination therapy for type 2 diabetes in primary care: Meeting individualized patient goals. Postgraduate Medicine. Epub ahead of print. October 2015. DOI:10.1080/00325482.2015.1085293.
- Ciervo C, Shubrook JH, Grundy P.Leveraging the Principles of Osteopathic Medicine to Improve Diabetes Outcomes within a new era of health care reform. J Am Osteopath Assoc. 2015;115(4 supplement):eS5 doi:10.7556/jaoa.2015.058.
- Eapen ZJ, Liang L, Shubrook JH, Bauman MA, Bufalino VJ, Bhatt DL, Peterson ED, Hernandez AF."Current Quality of Cardiovascular Prevention for Million Hearts: An Analysis of 147,038 Outpatients from The Guideline Advantage. American Heart Journal. 2014. 168(3):398-404. PMID: 25173553.
- Presswala L, Shubrook JH. “What to do after basal insulin: Three treatment options for type 2 diabetes”. Journal of Family Practice 2015. 64;4:214-220.
- Bufalino V, Bauman, MA; Shubrook JH, Balch AJ, et al. The Evolution of The Guideline Advantage: Lessons Learned from the Frontlines of Outpatient Performance Measurement. Published concurrently in Circulation-Cardiovascular Outcomes, Cancer, Diabetes Care, 2014.
- Redhu Gehlaut R, Dogbey GW, Schwartz FL, Marling CR, Shubrook JH. Hypoglycemia in Type 2 Diabetes - More Common Than You Think: A Continuous Glucose Monitoring Study. Journal of Diabetes Science and Technology 2015. DOI: 10.1177/1932296815581052. PMID: 25917335.
- Zaugg SD, Dogbey G, Collins K, Reynolds S, Batista C, Brannan G, Shubrook J. Diabetes numeracy and blood glucose control: association with type of diabetes and source of care. Clin Diabetes. 2014 Oct;32(4):152-7. doi: 10.2337/diaclin.32.4.152. PMID: 25646940.
- Shubrook JH, Mora NB, Adkins SE, Guo A. Insulin, A 2014 Primer: Part 2. Primary Care Reports 2014.20:9. 101-112.
- Shubrook JH, Mora NB, Adkins SE, Guo A. Insulin, A 2014 Primer: Part 1. Primary Care Reports 2014.20:8. 89-100.
- Shubrook JH. How and When to Start Basal insulin. Journal of Family Practice. February 2014. February 2014.
- Presswala L, Shubrook J, Schwartz F. The epidemic of obesity and type 2 diabetes in the US: Finding the key to an effective prevention programme. Diabesity in Practice 2013. 2: 127–34.
- Bulger JB, Shubrook JH, Snow R.Racial Disparities in African Americans With Diabetes: Process and Outcome Mismatch. American Journal of Managed Care 2012.18(8):407-413. PMID 22928755.
- Vajen B, Holt R, Marx T, Schwartz FL, Shubrook JH. How well are we Managing Diabetes in Long Term Care. Journal of Family Practice 2012.61(8):467-472. PMID 22871655.
- Snow R, Caulin-Glaser T, Arnette J, Mochan E, Shubrook JH. Measurement of glycemic control in diabetic patients-an evaluation of risk adjustment using a primary care registry. Osteopathic Family Physician 2012. 4(5):134-139.
2014 AOF Excellence in Diabetes Care Award. OMED 2014. Seattle, WA.
2014 OUHCOM Outstanding Alumnus of the Year
2013 OUHCOM SE CORE Outstanding Family Physician Award
2012 Ohio ACOFP Family Physician of the Year
2012 ACOFP-National Distinguished Service Award
2011, 2009 Cultural Competence in Clinical Care Award, OUCOM
2009- 2013 Outstanding Research Mentor Award OUCOM
2010 Clinical Preceptor of the year, OUCOM
2010 AOF /Pfizer National Fit for Life Award
2009 National ACOFP Young Family Physician of the Year
2008 Year 2 PCC Outstanding Clinical Preceptor
2007 Department of Family Medicine Award of Excellence
2007 Outstanding Clinical Presenter OUCOM
2006 Ohio Best Rural Practice Award, Ohio Department of Health
2006 Department of Family Medicine Award of Excellence
2005 Gold Crest Honor for Fellow’s Paper
2005 Member, Mentor Hall of Fame, American Osteopathic Association
2005 Outstanding Family Physician Award, SE CORE, OUCOM
2005 Outstanding Clinical Preceptor, PCC 1 AND CPC 2 OU-COM
2005 Outstanding Clinical Instructor, CPC 2 OU-COM
2004 Outstanding Family Physician Award, SE CORE, OU-COM
2004 Outstanding Achievement Award, OU-COM/Ohio University Alumni Society
2004 Award of Excellence, OU-COM Department of Family Medicine
2004 First Place, Ohio Osteopathic Association (OOA) Poster Award: Education/Public Health Research
2004 Second Place, Ohio Osteopathic Association (OOA) Poster Award: Clinical Research
2004 Outstanding Clinical Presenter, OUCOM CPC 2
2004 Outstanding ICOM Preceptor, OUCOM Year 1 CPC and PCC
2003 Ohio ACOFP Young Family Physician of the Year
2003 Outstanding Family Physician Award, SE CORE, OUCOM
2003 Outstanding ICOM Preceptor Year 2 PC, OUCOM
2003 Standard of Excellence Award, OUCOM
2002 Outstanding Clinical Faculty Award, OUCOM
2002 Mentor Award Year 1, OUCOM
2002 Mentor Award Year 2, OUCOM
2001 Outstanding Family Physician Award, SE C.O.R.E., OUCOM
2001 Mentor Award Year 1 and 2 CPC, OU-COM
2000 Outstanding Family Physician Award, SE C.O.R.E., OUCOM
Copyright 2005 - 2016, Touro University, All Rights Reserved.