Faculty & Staff at TUC
Department: Basic Sciences
Title: Associate Professor
Phone: (707) 638-5903
Fax: (707) 638-5255
Office: Administration & Faculty 1, Rm. 126
Fundamentals of Osteopathic Medicine (Medical Genetics, Medical Biochemistry, Molecular Biology, Neoplasia, Serum Protein/Vitamin/Iron, etc.)
Integrated Systems: GI (GI Biochem and Nutrition)
Integrated Systems: CVRR (Course Director) (Lipoprotein metab)
Medical Biochemistry (Course Director)
Intro to Research and Research Internship (Aging, memory impairment and dementia)
Subjects taught/served (General):
Aging, Genetics, Biochem, Molec and Cell Biology, Pathology/physiology, Clinical research, etc.
Clinical Research Basics (Course director)
Ph.D. Qualifying Exam (Director)
Genetics and Epigenetics of Aging
AMI (Age-related Memory Impairment) and Dementia
Midlife Crisis Theory of Aging (described in Murakami et al., 2011; Murakami, 2012)
Research, Education and Community Contribution:
Biotech Academy-Touro Summer Internship (for High School Students)
Developing Aging-Osteopathic Consortium
More than 20 students mentored for research.
1. National Scientific Advisory Council, AFAR (American Federation for Aging Research)
2. Editorial Board, Review Board and Advisory Board, Frontiers in Genetics of Aging, Open Longevity Science (Formerly, The Open Aging Journal and Open Aging Review), WebmedCentral, etc.
3. Advisory Board, Biotech Program, Vallejo High School/Hogan High School, Vallejo, CA.
4. Reviewer for AFAR, AOA (American Osteopathic Association), NSF (National Science Foundation), and peer-reviewed journals.
Murakami lab web site (under construction)
Special Issue (Peer-reviewed)
Murakami, S. Editor (Approved by the Journal; In Progress) Biology of cognitive aging: model systems, technologies and beyond. Frontiers in Genetics. www.frontiersin.org/people/ShinMurakami_1/43210/researchtopic.
Selected Publications, Reviews and Book Chapters:
1. Machino, K., Link C., Wong S., Murakami, H., and Murakami, S. (2014) A semi-automated analysis of age-related memory impairment in C. elegans. Frontiers in Genetics of Aging. In Press. Research Article.
2. Murakami, S. (2013) Age-dependent modulation of learning and memory in C. elegans. In Menzel R and Benjamin P.R. (Eds.) Invertebrate Learning and Memory; Handbook of Behavioral Neuroscience. Elsevier/Academic Press. Ch.12, Pages 140-150. Book Chapter.
3. Murakami, S., Cabana, K., Anderson, D. (2011) Current advances in the study of oxidative stress and age-related memory impairment in C. elegans. In Farooqui, T. Farooqui, A. (Ed.) Molecular aspects of oxidative stress on cell signaling in vertebrates and invertebrates, John Wiley & Sons, Hoboken, NJ. Pages 347-360.
4. Murakami, H., Bessinger, K., Hellmann, J. Luerman, G.C., Murakami, S. (2008) Serotonin as a cause of behavioral aging in C. elegans. Neurobiology of Aging. 29:1093-100.
5. Murakami, H., Murakami, S. (2007) Serotonin receptors antagonistically modulate C. elegans longevity. Aging Cell. 6:483-8.
6. Murakami, S. (2007) C. elegans as a model system to study aging of learning and memory. Molecular Neurobiology. 35: 85-94.
7. Murakami, S. (2006) Stress resistance in long-lived mice. Special Issue of Genetic Analysis of Aging. Experimental Gerontology, 41:1014-9.
8. Murakami, H., Bessinger, K., Hellmann, J., Murakami, S. (2005) Aging-dependent and independent regulation of learning by insulin/IGF-1 signal in C. elegans. J. Neurosci. 25:10894-904.
9. Murakami, S. and Murakami, H. (2005) The effects of aging and oxidative stress on learning behavior in C. elegans. Neurobiology of Aging. 26:899-905.
10. Salmon, A.B., Murakami, S., Bartke, A., Kopchick, J., Yasumura, K., Miller, R.A. (2005) Fibroblast cell lines from young adult mice of long-lived mutant strains are resistant to multiple forms of stress. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab.289: E23-9.
11. Murakami, S., Salomon, A., and Miller, R.A. (2003) Multiplex stress resistance in cells in long-lived Dwarf mice. FASEB J. 17:1565-1566.
12. Murakami S. and Johnson T.E. (2003) Molecular genetics of longevity and stress resistance in model organisms. Current Genomics 4:63-74.
13. Johnson, TE, Henderson, S., Murakami, S., de Castro, E., de Castro, S.H., Cypser, J., Rikke, B., Tedesco, P., Link, C. (2002) Longevity genes in the nematode Caenorhabditis elegans also mediate increased resistance to stress and prevent disease. J Inherit Metab Dis 25:197-206.
14. Murakami, S. and Johnson T.E. (2001) The OLD-1 positive regulator of longevity and stress resistance is under DAF-16 regulation in Caenorhabditis elegans. Current Biology. 11:1517-1523.
15. Johnson, T.E., Cypser, J., de Castro, E., Henderson, S., Murakami, S., Rikke, B., Tedesco, P. and Link, C. (2000) Gerontogenes mediate health and longevity in nematodes through increasing resistance to environmental toxins and stressors. Exp. Geront. 35:687-694.
16. Murakami, S., Tedesco, P., Cypser, J., and Johnson, T.E. (2000) Molecular mechanism and genetic manipulation of longevity in C. elegans. Annals of NY Acad. Sci., 908:40-49.
17. Rikke, B., Murakami, S., and Johnson, T. E. (2000) Molecular phylogenetics of tyrosine kinase that can extend nematode life span. Journal of Molecular Evolution.17:671-683.
18. Murakami, S. and Johnson T. E. (1998) Life extension and stress resistance modulated by the old-1 receptor tyrosine kinase gene. Current Biology. 8:1091-1094.
19. Johnson T.E., Murakami, S. Shook, D.R., Duhon, S. and Tedesco, P.M. (1997) Identifying and cloning longevity determining genes in the nematode Caenorhabditis elegans. In J.-M. Robine, J. Vaupel, Jeune and Allard (Eds.); Longevity: To the limits and beyond. Heiderberg, Springer-Verlag, pp155-163.
20. Johnson, T. E., Lithgow, G. J. and Murakami, S. (1996) Hypothesis: Interventions that increase the response to stress offer the potential for effective life prolongation and increased health. J. Gerontology 51A:B392-B395.
21. Johnson, T. E., Lithgow, G. J., Murakami, S. and Shook, D. R. (1996) Genetics. In Encyclopedia of Gerontology, Academic Press, p577-586.
22. Johnson, T. E., Lithgow, G. J., Murakami, S., Duhon, S. A. and Shook, D. R. (1996) Genetics of aging and longevity in lower organisms. In Holbrook, N. and Martin, G. R. (Eds.); Aging and Cell Death: Series on Modern Cell Biology, pp1-17.
23. Duhon, S. A., Murakami, S. and Johnson, T. E. (1996) Direct isolation of longevity mutants in the Nematode Caenorhabditis elegans. Dev. Genet. 18:144-153.
24. Murakami, S. and Johnson T. E. (1996) A genetic pathway conferring life extension and resistance to UV stress in Caenorhabditis elegans. Genetics. 143:1207-1218.
25. Murakami, S., and Niwa, O. (1995) Fission yeast sta mutations that stabilize an unstable minichromosome are novel cdc2 interacting suppressers and are involved in spindle dynamics. Mol. Gen. Genet. 249:391-399.
26. Murakami, S., Yanagida, M., and Niwa, O. (1995) A large circular minichromosome of Schizosaccaromyces pombe requires a high dose of type II DNA topoisomerase for its stabilization. Mol. Gen. Genet 246:671-679.
27. Takahashi, K., Murakami, S., Chikashige, Y., Funabiki, H., Niwa, O., and Yanagida, M. (1992) A low copy number central sequence with strict symmetry and unusual chromatin structure in fission yeast centromere. Molecular Biology of the Cell 3:819-835.
28. Takahashi, K., Murakami, S., Chikashige, Y., Niwa, O., and Yanagida, M. (1991) A large number of tRNA genes are symmetrically located in fission yeast centromere. Journal of Molecular Biology 218:13-17.
29. Murakami, S., Matsumoto, T., Niwa, O., and Yanagida, M. (1991) Structure of the fission yeast centromere cen3: direct analysis of the reiterated inverted region. Chromosoma 101:214-221.
30. Matsumoto, T., Murakami, S., Niwa, O., and Yanagida, M. (1990) Construction and characterization of centromeric circular and acentric linear chromosomes in fission yeast. Current Genetics 18:323-330.
31. Chikashige, Y., Kinoshita, N., Nakaseko, Y., Matsumoto, T., Murakami, S., Niwa, O., and Yanagida, M. (1989) Composite motifs and repeat symmetry in S.pombe centromeres: direct analysis by integration of Not I restriction sites. Cell 57:739-751.
College of Osteopathic Medicine (Faulty)
Master of Sciences in Medical Health Sciences/COM (Founding faculty)
Biotech Academy Touro Internship Program (Founding organizer/Director)
Copyright 2005 - 2014, Touro University, All Rights Reserved.