Faculty & Staff at TUC
Dr. Eric Ip
Department: Academic Support, Clinical Sciences
Title: Associate Professor and Chair of Pharmacy Practice
Phone: (707) 638-5993
Fax: (707) 638-5959
Office: Administration & Faculty 2, Rm. 203
Bachelors of Science in Exercise Science, University of California, Davis, 2002
Doctor of Pharmacy, University of California, San Francisco, 2006
Pharmacy Practice Residency (PGY-1), Kaiser Permanente Santa Clara Medical Center, 2007
Licenses and Certifications
California Registered Pharmacist, License #58424
Board Certified Pharmacotherapy Specialist (BCPS)
Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialist (CSCS)
Certified Diabetes Educator (CDE)
APhA Pharmacy-Based Immunization Delivery Program Trainer
APhA Pharmacy-Based Lipid Management Certificate
APhA Pharmacy-Based Immunization Delivery Certificate
APhA Pharmacy-Based Travel Health Services Certificate
Emergency Contraception Certified
Basic Life Support Certified
Director of Clinical Sciences Curriculum
Oversee Clinical Sciences 1,2,3,4, Practice OSCEs, and PACE Exam
PRMC 612: Clinical Sciences (Participating Faculty Member)
PRMC 608: Clinical Sciences (Participating Faculty Member))
PRMC 616: Clinical Sciences (Participating Faculty Member)
PHRM 865: APPE Elective Research Rotation
PHRM 866: APPE Elective Research Rotation
PHRM 706: APPE Ambulatory Care I (Diabetes/Cardiovascular Clinic)
Lecture topics: Diabetes Mellitus, Diabetes Mellitus and Cardiovascular Care, Hypertension, Ischemic Heart Disease/Stable Angina, Cardiac Arrhythmias, OTC Musculoskeletal Disorders and Fever, Osteoporosis
Simulation/Workshop Activities: Immunizations, Physical Examination/Assessments, Diabetes Workshop, Ambulatory Care Simulation, Acute Care Simulation
Other presentations: Residency Workshop Series: Interviewing, NAPLEX Cardiology/Diabetes Review, Presenting Research Posters
My current research interests involve sports pharmacy and the use of performance enhancing drugs. I was the principle investigator of the Anabolic 500, a study which recruited over 500 anabolic steroid users and analyzed motivations for use, exercise patterns, psychiatric traits, and illicit drug use. I am currently heading a new study titled, CASTRO, where we aim to determine whether injection practices and other risky lifestyle behaviors may be an avenue for spread of infectious disease.
I am also involved in research on driving performance, diabetes/cardiovascular outcomes, educational/teaching methodology, academic dishonesty, and substance abuse.
2012: Survey of Patient Acetaminophen Knowledge and the Impact of a Condensed Educational Consultation. Touro University California Intramural IRAP Grant. Total Costs: $3483. Ip EJ (Principle Investigator), Tang TTL, Cheongsiatmoy D.
2011: Effects of “Hands-free” Cell Phone Use on Driving Tests. Touro University- California
Intramural IRAP Grant. Total Costs: $1619. Ip EJ (Principle Investigator), Barnett MJ (Co-Investigator), Perry PJ (Co-Investigator).
2011: Adding Pharmacists to Primary Care Teams: Evidence of Clinical and Economic Outcomes in Diabetes Management. American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy (AACP) New Pharmacy Faculty Research Award, $9,775. Shah BM (Principal Investigator), Ip EJ (Co-Investigator).
Peer-Reviewed Journal Publications
1. Bergeron N, Al-Saiegh, Ip EJ. Do California Pharmacy and Medical Students Practice What They Preach? An analysis
of dietary and lifestyle practices. Am J Pharm Educ. (in press)
2. Ip EJ, Yadao MA, Shah BM, Doroudgar S, Perry PJ, Tenerowicz MJ, Newsom L, Mann AA, Mkrtchyan H, Pope HG. Polypharmacy, seroprevalence, sexual behavior, and psychophysical health among anabolic steroid-using homosexual gym clients: A Study in the San Francisco Castro District. Subst Use Misuse. (in press)
3. Palisoc AJL, Matsumoto RR, Ho J, Perry, PJ, Tang TT, Ip EJ. Relationship between Grit with Academic Performance and Attainment of Postgraduate Training in Pharmacy Students. Am J Pharm Educ. (in press)
4. Ip EJ, Nguyen K, Shah BM, Doroudgar S, Bidwal MK. Motivations and Predictors of Cheating in Pharmacy School. Am J Pharm Educ. 2016:80(8):133.
5. Bidwal MK, Lor KB, Yu J, Ip E. Evaluation of Asthma Medication Adherence Rates and Strategies to Improve Adherence in the Underserved Population at a Federally Qualified Health Center. Res Social Adm Pharm. 2016 Aug 3. pii: S1551-7411(16)30311-4.
6. Ip EJ, Yadao MA, Shah BM, Lau B. Infectious disease, injection practices, and risky sexual behavior among anabolic steroid users. AIDS Care. 2016;28(3):294-299.
7. Lindfelt TA, Ip EJ, Barnett MJ. Career Satisfaction, Work-Life Balance and Stress among United States Pharmacy School Faculty: Snapshot from a Comprehensive Survey. Am J Health Syst Pharm. 2015 Sept 15; 72(18):1573-1578.
8. Perry PJ, Fredriksen K, Chew S, Ip EJ, Lopes I, Doroudgar S, Thomas K. The Effects of Dextromethorphan on Driving Performance and the Standardized Field Sobriety Test. J Forensic Sci. 2015 Sep;60(5):1258-1262.
9. Shah BM, Mezzio DJ, Ho J, Ip EJ. Association of ABC (HbA1c, blood pressure, LDL-cholesterol) goal attainment with depression and health-related quality of life among adults with type 2 diabetes. J Diabetes Complications. 2015 Aug;29(6):794-800
10. Lor KB, Truong J, Ip EJ, Barnett MJ. A Randomized Prospective Study on Outcomes of an Empathy Intervention among Second-year Student Pharmacists. Am J Pharm Educ. 2015; 79(2):18.
11. Lor KB, Moua S, Ip EJ. Frequency and perceptions of herbal medicine use among Hmong Americans: a cross sectional survey. J Immigr Minor Health. 2015 Apr;18(2):397-401.
12. Wong T, Ip EJ, Lopes IC, Rajagopalan V. Pharmacy Student Performance and Perceptions in a Flipped Teaching Pilot on Cardiac Arrhythmias. Am J Pharm Educ. 2014:78(10):185.
13. Ho J, Bidwal MK, Lopes IC, Shah BM, Ip EJ. Implementation of an Accelerated Physical Examination Course in a Doctor of Pharmacy Program: A Flipped Approach. Am J Pharm Educ. 2014:78(10):182.
14. Bidwal MK, Ip EJ, Shah BM, Serino M. Stress, Drugs, and Alcohol Utilization among Healthcare Professional Students: A Focus on Prescription Stimulants. J Pharm Pract. 2015 Dec;28(6):535-42.
15. Ip EJ, Tang TT-L, Cheng V, Yu J, Cheongsiatmoy DS. Impact of Educational Levels and Health Literacy on Community Acetaminophen Knowledge. J Pharm Pract. 2015 Dec;28(6):499-503.
16. Truong JT, Barnett MJ, Tang TT, Ip EJ, Teeters JL, Knapp KK. Factors impacting self-perceived readiness for residency training: results of a national survey of postgraduate year one residents. J Pharm Pract. 2015 Feb;28(1):112-118.
17. Ip EJ, Trinh K, Tenerowicz MJ, Pal J, Lindfelt TA, and Perry PJ. Characteristics and behaviors of older male anabolic steroid users. J Pharm Pract. 2015 Oct;28(5):450-456.
18. Yoshizuka K, Perry PJ, Upton G, Lopes I, and Ip EJ. (2014) Standardized Field Sobriety Test: False Positive Test Rate among Sober Subjects. J Forensic Toxicol Pharmacol 3: 2.
19. Lu D, Ip EJ, Lopes I, Barnett M, Chu E, Ghayyem P, Perry P. Effects of Diphenhydramine versus Fexofenadine on the Standardized Field Sobriety Test. California Journal of Health-System Pharmacy. 2014; 26(3):81-88.
20. Ip EJ, Pal, J,Yu J, Trinh K, Lopes I, Lindfelt T, and Perry PJ. Effects of dextromethorphan on the standardized field sobriety test. California Journal of Health System Pharmacy. 2014; 26(2):52-57.
21. Ip EJ, Shah BM, Yu J, Chan J, Nguyen LT, Bhatt DC. Enhancing diabetes care by adding a pharmacist to the primary care team. Am J HealthSyst Pharm. 2013 May 15;70(10):877-886.
Podcast Audio Interview:http://www.ashpmedia.org/podcasts/ajhp/index.html (May 15, 2013)
22. Ip EJ, Bui QV, Barnett MJ, Kazani A, Wright R, Serino MJ, Perry PJ. The effect of trazodone on standardized field sobriety tests. Pharmacotherapy. 2013 Apr; 33(4):369-374.
23. Yu J, Shah BM, Ip EJ, Chan J. A Markov Model of the Cost-Effectiveness of Pharmacist Care for Diabetes in Prevention of Cardiovascular Diseases: Evidence from Kaiser Permanente Northern California. J Manag Care Pharm. 2013 Mar;19(2):102-114.JMCP 2013 Award for Excellence Honorable Mention
24. Ip EJ, Lu DH, Barnett MJ, Tenerowicz MJ, Vo JC, Perry PJ. The psychological and physical impact of anabolic-androgenic steroid (AAS) dependence: a comparison of AAS-dependent users and AAS-non-dependent users. Pharmacotherapy. 2012 Oct;32(10):910-919.
25. Ip EJ, Barnett MJ, Tenerowicz MJ, Perry PJ. Weightlifting’s Risky New Trend: A Case Series of 41 Insulin Users. Curr Sports Med Rep. 2012 Jul;11(4):176-179.
26. Truong HB, Ip EJ. A Review of Erythropoietin Abuse: An Analysis of Effectiveness and Safety in Exercise.J Sports Med Doping Stud. 2:106.
27. Bruno CB, Ip EJ, Shah B, Linn WD. A Mnemonic for Pharmacy Students to Use in Pharmacotherapy Assessment. Am J Pharm Educ. 2012;76(1):16.
28. Ip EJ, Barnett MJ, Tenerowicz MJ, and Perry PJ. The Anabolic 500 Survey: Characteristics of Male Users versus Nonusers of Anabolic-Androgenic Steroids for Strength Training. Pharmacotherapy 2011;31(8):757-766.
29. Ip EJ, Barnett MJ, Tenerowicz MJ, Kim JA, Wei H, and Perry PJ. Females and Anabolic Steroids: An Analysis of a Dozen Users. Clin J Sport Med 2010;20(6):475-481.
30. Ip EJ, Barnett MJ, Tenerowicz MJ, and Perry PJ. The Touro 12-Step: A Systematic Guide to Optimizing Survey Research with Online Discussion Boards. J Med Internet Res 2010;12(2):e16.
31. Ip EJ, Lee-Ma A, Troxell LS, Chan J. Low-dose filgrastim in patients with breast cancer treated with docetaxel, doxorubicin, and cyclophosphamide. Am J Health-Syst Pharm 2008;65:1552-1555.
Ip EJ, Patel PB, Hsu I, Lau B, Beta-Adrenoceptor Antagonists and Antianginal Drugs. In
Sidhartha Ray, editor: Side Effects of Drugs Annual, Vol 38, SEDA, UK: Elsevier, 2016,
Ip, E.J. (2014). Diabetes. In K. Shapiro, S.A. Brown, & D. McNatty (Eds.), RxPrep Course Book- A Comprehensive Course for the NAPLEX®& CPJE (pp. 393-428). San Diego, CA. RxPrep, Inc.
Jackevicius C., & Ip, E.J. (2014). Chronic Stable Angina. In K. Shapiro, S.A. Brown, & D. McNatty (Eds.), RxPrep Course Book- A Comprehensive Course for the NAPLEX®& CPJE (pp. 642-650). San Diego, CA. RxPrep, Inc.
Dr. Ipster's Cardiology Review iPhone App: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/dr.-ipsters-cardiology-review/id560830899?ls=1&mt=8
Dr. Ipster's Cardiology Handbook, 2nd Edition: http://ipster.tictail.com/
Memberships and Affiliations
American Society of Health Systems Pharmacists (ASHP)
California Society of Health Systems Pharmacists (CSHP)
Quatra Society of Health Systems Pharmacists
American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy (AACP)
American College of Clinical Pharmacy (ACCP)
American Diabetes Association (ADA)
National Strength and Conditioning Association (NSCA)
Rho Chi Pharmaceutical Honor Society
Phi Lambda Sigma Pharmaceutical Leadership Society
Kappa Psi Pharmaceutical Fraternity
UCSF School of Pharmacy Alumni Association
Honors and Awards
2016- Touro University California College of Pharmacy: Clinical Sciences Professor
of the Year
2014- California Society of Health Systems Pharmacists (CSHP)- Fellow
2013- Touro University California College of Pharmacy: Professor of the Year
2012- Touro University California College of Pharmacy: Professor of the Year
2011- Touro University California College of Pharmacy: Professor of the Year
2010- Recognized at the 2010 American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy (AACP) "Teacher of the Year Luncheon" in Seattle, Washington
2010- Touro University California College of Pharmacy: Professor of the Year
2010- Touro University California College of Pharmacy: Clinical Preceptor of the Year
2008- Recognized at the 2008 American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy (AACP) "Teacher of the Year Luncheon" in Chicago, Illinois
2008- Touro University California College of Pharmacy: Professor of the Year
2008- Touro University California College of Pharmacy: Awarded "Best Lecturer" and "Most Approachable Professor"
2007- APhA-ASP National Patient Counseling Competition Judge
2006- UCSF School of Pharmacy Bowl of Hygeia Recipient
2006- Drug Facts and Comparisons Excellence in Clinical Communications
2006- Longs Drugs Stores Senior Research Award
2006- TEVA Pharmaceuticals USA Outstanding Pharmacy Student Award
2006- APhA-ASP Patient Counseling Competition: National Champion and State Champion
2005- CSHP Clinical Skills Competition: State Champion
2005- Inducted into Rho Chi, National Pharmaceutical Honor Society
2005- Inducted into Phi Lambda Sigma, National Pharmaceutical Leadership Society
Touro University California College of Pharmacy: Clinical Sciences Department Chair, August 2014-present
Touro University California College of Pharmacy: Clinical Sciences Department Interim Chair, October 2013-July 2014
Touro University California College of Pharmacy: Associate Professor, 2012-present
Touro University California College of Pharmacy: Assistant Professor, 2007 - 2012
Kaiser Permanente Mountain View Clinics: Clinical Pharmacist/Diabetes Specialist, 2007 - present
Copyright 2005 - 2017, Touro University, All Rights Reserved.